Property Restoration History
Are you a property restoration professional who wants to know more about the rich history of our industry? Then you are in the right place.
This is a labor of love. We are working to track down and piece together elements of the history and rise of the property restoration industry. This effort will include aspects of carpet cleaners becoming water damage mitigation specialists, the evolution of fire damage restoration, integration of insurance claims repairs, and the emergence of what we now call property restoration professionals.
This site includes:
Thank you to our sponsors:
This site includes:
- People of property restoration history
- Timeline of property restoration history
- Property restoration history blog
- Articles, videos, and artifacts of property restoration history
Thank you to our sponsors:
- The DYOJO Podcast - Helping contractors shorten their DANG learning curve
Property Restoration History Articles & Videos
- Michelle Blevins’ Restoration & Remediation article A Brief Walk Through RIA History
- G. Pete Consigli’s Cleaning & Restoration article Founding Fathers of Restoration
- Jeff Bishop’s SCRT article 50 Years of Industry History
- Building A Bridge From Restoration's Founding Fathers To The Modern Restorer (Cleanfax) \
- An Introduction to Lloyd Weaver - water damage restoration founding father and the inventor of the modern air mover (Porta Dryer)
- Cliff Zlotnik and Pete Consigli discuss The History of the Restoration Industry (Parts 1-3) IAQ Radio Episode 514
- Interview with Cliff Zlotnik on The DYOJO Podcast Episode 87
- Peeling Back The Layers of The Restoration Industry Watchdogs on Straight Talk with Jeff Cross
- Cliff Zlotnik, John Downey, Ken Larsen, and Pete Consigli discuss the Wild West of the property restoration industry
- Interview with Claude Blackburn on The DYOJO Podcast
People of Property Restoration History
We are building a library of the people who have contributed to the property restoration industry, check out our People Resource Page to learn more about industry legends such as Lloyd Weaver, Martin "Marty" L. King, Cliff Zlotnik, Claude Blackburn, Ed York, and more.
Recent Additions to the PRH Library
The History of Restoration a discussion with Michelle Blevins (C&R Magazine) and Pete Consigli, The Restoration Watchdog - WATCH the full episode "The History of Restoration" on Restoration Today.
An Introduction to Lloyd Weaver - water damage restoration founding father and the inventor of the modern air mover (Porta Dryer)
Discussion with John Pletcher on the impact of Martin "Marty" L. King on the property restoration industry
Keep It Clean Podcast interview with Ron Toney who worked side by side with Ed York
Bob Bonwell and Disaster Restoration at Purdue University
Bob Bonwell's motto was, "You can't outperform your knowledge," which fueled his efforts to develop property restoration education. Starting as early as 1996, Bob conceived and collaborated with industry peers to initiate the effort that would become the the Disaster Restoration and Reconstruction (DRR) Program in Construction Management Technology at Purdue University.
Learn more about Bob Bonwell and DRR at Purdue on Episode 85 of The DYOJO Podcast
A funny story about the early days of the Restoration Industry Association (RIA)
Building a Bridge from Restoration's Founding Fathers to the Modern Restorer
Article co-authored by Pete Consigli and Jon Isaacson in CleanFax Magazine exploring the restoration industry’s history and how we can use it to make the future better.
Claude Blackburn on the Keep It Clean Podcast
Claude Blackburn joins Dane Gregory to discuss his early days as a carpet cleaner, meeting Ed York and Lloyd Weaver, and the development of Dri Eaz into and industry leader.
Questions About The Development of Industry Standards
Cliff Zlotnik and Pete Consigli join Jeff Cross to discuss questions and controversies in the development and revisions to the industry water (IICRC S500) and mold (IICRC S520) standards as well as the formation of the Restoration Industry Watchdogs.
The Early Years of Water Damage Restoration (1970s & 80s)
Cliff Zlotnik, John Downey, Ken Larsen, and Pete Consigli join The DYOJO Podcast to discuss the early days of property restoration. Topics include early organizations, Ed York, Lloyd Weaver, Marty King, and many other nuggets of property restoration history.
The Founding Fathers of Restoration
Link to an article from Cleaning & Restoration (C&R) Magazine from March 2007 written by Pete Consigli
- Martin "Marty" L. King
- Lloyd Weaver
- Cliff Zlotnik
- Claude Blackburn
What Is Property Restoration History?
We are working to track down and share the people, innovations, movements, and stories from the evolution of the property restoration industry. The goal of this site is to be a collection of shared memories, photographs, videos, audio segments, documents, relics, and stories. We want to learn from and honor our past and we need your help. Please reach out if you have something to add or a lead on an interesting fact.
Water Damage Restoration History
- Water damage historical leaders - people
- Water damage historical items - standards, innovations, etc.
Carpet Cleaning History
- Carpet cleaning historical leaders - people
- Carpet cleaning historical items - standards, innovations, etc.
Fire Damage Restoration History
- Fire damage historical leaders - people
- Fire damage historical items - standards, innovations, etc.
Hazard Abatement & Remediation History
- Hazard abatement and remediation historical leaders - people
- Hazard abatement and remediation historical items - standards, innovations, etc.
Insurance Claims Contracting History
- Insurance claim repairs historical leaders - people
- Insurance claim repairs historical items - standards, innovations, etc.
Pete Consigli, Resident Historian & Technical Advisor
Pete Consigli has been in the cleaning, restoration, and IAQ industry for nearly five decades. He contributes to trade publications and standards development and participates in industry events. Consigli is a founding father of the WLS certification designation and has been a facilitator and advisor to the program since its inception in 1999. He is an honorary member of RIA, an IAQA Hall of Fame inductee, and a recipient of RIA’s Martin L. King award. The RIA recognized him in 2021 by naming its new scholarship program, the Pete Consigli Education Scholarship, in his honor. Hear Pete on IAQ Radio every Friday at 12pm EST.
Jon Isaacson, Historian in Training
Jon Isaacson, known as the “Intentional Restorer,” is a contractor, an author, and the host of the DYOJO Podcast. Jon speaks, writes, and coaches start-up phase owners and growth-minded restoration professionals through his organization, The DYOJO. Isaacson is the author of the Be Intentional book series for restorers.